Five good reasons why music theory is a must if you expect to perfect your musical talent.
If you thought music theory was a waste of time and not necessary to further your musical goals, then read the following 5 reasons why this is not true.
1. Read sheet music: Being able to play from any piece of sheet music. Well, it may be hard to play BUT you can read it!
2. Be able to transpose: Say you are playing a piece from the sheet music you can now read but you think it sounds too high or too low, or just not right. Well, now you can move it into a new key and play at a better singing.
3. Be able to modulate: You will be able to, with a few quick moves of the fingers, move your music into a new key with a succession of notes so pleasing to the ear it will bring a smile to your listener’s faces.
4. It will increase your skill in improvising: Enough said.
5. Knowing music theory will help you recreate the sounds you enjoy in your favorite songs. Those fabulous chord progressions. The parts that give a song that certain sound. Gospel, Contemporary, etc.
To learn music theory you don’t have to become a scholar on the subject. Just at least learn the basics. Getting a good music theory book and spending a few minutes a day reading from it and doing any included exercises can jump-start your music playing.
You have any additional thoughts, share them with us in the comment section below!